Sunday, March 11, 2012

Guilty Parenting

I think one of the biggest things that stops Moms from getting sober is guilt, guilt for what they have done to their children, guilt for not being there, for driving drunk, for not being in the moment. Just plain old gross guilt.

But the fact is the only way to fix it, is to go sober. Lots of days I still feel guilty about the damage that may have been done to my kids as a result of my drinking. But you know what?...that doesn't help them one little bit. What happened, happened. All I can do is stay sober and show them that I have taken responsibility for my actions. They need to know that, as they will be responsible for their own actions as they become adults. I also came from an "alcoholic" family, but I can't go around blaming my problems on that, and I don't want my kids going around blaming their problems on me or anyone else for that matter. I now have tools, a God, and a clear head to guide my kids, to help them take responsibility for their actions, by showing them that I am taking responsiblity for mine. That is a blessing and a direct result of hard work in sobriety.

4 comments:

  1. You are so right. Living amends are the best way to kind of make things right with kids I feel. I felt SO guilty about the damage I may have caused my stepkids but I think the way I live my life now is helping them more than anything. And that good ol' step 9 of making amends to them didn't hurt either :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Step 9 - can you explain? Because knowing that's in my future is holding me back from committing to step one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each step prepares you for the next, I was very worried about this one also, but once you get to it you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This site is great, but I need daily support (at least). Does anyone know of other recovery websites that provide more postings? Anything with daily or even interactive postings would be a life saver (responses to postings). Help!?

    ReplyDelete