Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

A New Year, a fresh start, a new outlook...what a great thing!

I was really sick yesterday, so I stayed home. I remember a time that would have killed me. I would have been miserable, and in my drinking days I would have gone out anyway...sick or not. But I had no desire. Staying home, and getting better was just fine with me. Because of that I feel great today. It is amazing to me that when we give our body the rest it needs how quickly it heals...amazing right!?

I often hear people setting 'intentions' for the New Year and I like that...so here are mine...

-To keep my home neat and organized
-To get my body to a healthy weight, and stay there
- To become financial comfortable, and independent
-To make sure the people I love know how very much I love them

What are yours?

6 comments:

  1. I want to live a sober life. Today is Day 4...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Emily. I know you've been sober for over 4 years now (and I understand that being sober, while it definitely includes not drinking, is more than just not drinking). When did it start getting easier for you? Especially, when did you stop thinking about it so much? Have you ever woke up in the morning and thought, "Wow, I never even thought about alcohol and not drinking once yesterday!" ? I want my mind back more than anything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The not thinking about it takes some time in my experience. It helps to replace the routine for example I started drinking tea in the evenings when my wine routine usually happened. After awhile I didn't "need" the tea and now it's just a nice way to relax once in awhile especially when it's cold. I still get pangs at trigger and it's been almost a year and a half. But funny thing the other day I smelled wine and it was totally unappealing to me. Waking up feeling good is so much better than the sluggish way I used to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New year!! I love the idea of intentions, versus resolutions. I totally ignored the thought of making any changes, come Jan 1, because I felt like such a failure with all my past experiences. Then I realized it was just a chance to try again. That God doesn't expect perfection, only progress...
    THEN I came to the point that it is time to deal with my sugar addiction. Aieeee!
    Though, if I am strong enough to lay off the sauce for three years I can certainly walk past a dang cookie ;)

    there IS hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your intentions Emily, they sound very like mine. And of course stopping drinking. My first day again today and what was quite funny was the fact that I'm so broke after Christmas that I actually didn't have the money for a single drink, Thank God for that! Tomorrow is pay-day and I hope I will resist the urge when I do have the money for it. I keep trying to remember the phrase 'just don't drink, no matter what'

    ReplyDelete