Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Juice

I often refer to serotonin as happy juice. I find it to be the easiest way to explain it. Most alcoholics and addicts have destroyed their serotonin levels. Meaning most of us have a hard time being "happy" on our own. If you watch a child you see serotonin's working properly. Can you imagine being that happy sober?

It is for sure what I'm shooting for. I have heard that it can take anywhere from 1-5year for your serotonin levels to level out. I believe that.

I can tell you this when I started recovery I couldn't fathom what the hell people were so happy about, what they were laughing about...now I get it, now I am one of them. But it took awhile...I know I will level out more and more as time goes up, and certainly not going to give up before the miracle happens.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I agree with you about the seratonin fact. I had this image in my mind that after I quit drinking all of those fuzzy feelings of happiness would come come easily. NOT!!! I started working out,they say that helps. All that has done for me is create aches and pains that piss me off even more!Haha.
    But as they say "happiness is a journey, not a destination"
    Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete